I picked up Boy12 this morning at 8:00 from a church Lock-In he attended with friends. He immediately began talking about the events of the past 12 hours, which had me none too happy. Ok, it was a church, so I should have known better, but it didn't seem that fundamentalist. Here's the scoop. They showed 12 year olds The Passion of the Christ without parental permission. I would have given it, most likely, if asked, but at least I could have explained or warned him prior, let him decide whether to go or not. I know when I thought about showing it to my youth group, I called all their parents and asked, and they were in high school!
I think he was more upset that it lasted 3 1/2 hours, it was spoken in "Hebrew" with subtitles, and they kept stopping to explain everything, than the actual content. He agreed it was really violent, the whipping part, and that he did learn something about Jesus. However, one girl was apparently in tears. Then they were lectured about HELL and how they would be going there unless they did three things: pray, accept Jesus as their savior and something else. She asked if they knew what hell looked like and described it, that the world is going to blow up, how the Bible says so, and Boy12 told the lady outright, "I don't feel like believing this." I was so proud. One of his friends was really upset and worried, and kept asking, what he had to do, etc. I asked my boy if he was worried, and he's like "nope". I reassured him, just in case, that she doesn't know anymore than Mitch Albom, me or him about heaven and hell.
Okay, that is the last church event he's going to. It really angers me that people are out there scaring little kids with their negative freakish beliefs and predictions.
P.S. After The Passion movie they watched the Pistol Pete Maravich story, which seemed really odd, but he loves sports, so that was cool. Then hubby told me Pistol Pete was a born again.
2 comments:
Hmmm. I guess the "fundamentalists" are in all religions, which is kinda scary the closer they get to home! So sorry you had to deal with this.
Kudos to your son for being brave enough to speak his mind and knowing that their beliefs aren't necessarily the answer to all faith and spirituality. Kudos to you for bringing him up that way!
Post a Comment