Some of the Mother Lode
I don't have a lot of memories, good or bad, of Easter. My firmest memories are of my mother-in-law, known as Nellie. When we were living in Western New York Nellie always had nice Easter get togethers, regardless of the weather, which was iffy at best. Pansy usually sent a nice spiral ham, and many of the ten siblings would be present with kids in tow. They are probably getting together today, we just aren't close enough to visit.
One tradition Pat started here in Western Illinois, was the golf ball hunt. Spread all over the yard, there were prizes for most golf balls, any golf balls, and the coveted, money golf ball. Prizes included candy, sports equipment, and other small gifts. Boy12 hopefully asked if there would be a golf ball hunt this year, and was told he was too old now.
This morning I set off for last minute Easter shopping at Walgreen's and Pat followed. I had $10 in my pocket (one chocolate bunny each), but Pat has more of an Easter fetish. He ended up spending $43, mostly on candy. Yikes.
I have always thought dyeing Easter eggs was a big hassle, something like carving pumpkins. I guess I am a holiday party pooper. I have a box of Easter decorations somewhere. I am just too lazy to get it out. I know it has some beautiful blown eggs with fancy quill designs that Betsy made and other fancy stuff. That would probably have made a nice picture, but the thought occurred too late.
I believe we are products of the way we were brought up, and holidays were just not commercialized, materialized or emphasized in my home. Yes, we did get hard boiled eggs, and a chocolate bunny for Easter, but not new clothes or gifts, god forbid. I try to keep it simple now, too.
All in all, it was a blessed Easter!
3 comments:
Glad to hear it was a blessed Easter for you, Susan. Our "commercialized" Easter was a wee Easter basket from landlady Uschi before we left in the van on Saturday for A'dam. Last year's from her took us almost a year to eat but not this year's. At least I hope not. :)
It's still holiday today, Monday, but Donica is working from the apartment. It's not an American holiday, after all, even though she's here. :(
thanks Ginnie. I took the day off since the kids have a holiday from school, officially "spring break". I do have class tonight and a test Wednesday, so I can't miss. I am understanding this chapter much better, and diligently doing extra homework almost daily.
Glad to hear that you had a good Easter. How fun to get Bert's Bee's in your basket. :)
Post a Comment