Saturday, April 30, 2016

You Are Not Alone

Out of the Darkness Walks are sponsored by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and take place across the country on campuses and in communities. I actually attended one in Galesburg, IL with a friend several years ago and was impressed with the message of hope, the collective spirit, and the focus on bringing a difficult topic out of the dark. A favorite cousin of mine had ended her life about 10 years before, and I walked with her in mind, chalking her name, Laurie, along the path. It was reflective, spiritual, healing. The main message I took from that day was that survivors of suicide loss don't have to be alone.

And so now, here I sit with more impetus to participate in AFSP walks than I ever imagined. Springfield, IL, where Adam lived for 8 years and died has their walk September 10, 2016. I am excited to have registered Team Tut and hope to join our family and Adam's friends together for this walk. This is my page:

http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=988284

Information about the Springfield walk in general can be found here:

http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.event&eventID=3861

The super exciting news I also have to share is that there will be an Out of the Darkness walk in Macomb/McDonough County IL October 1st, 2016!!  The location is Lakeview Nature Center, where the natural prairie path will be fashioned into a huge Labyrinth which will be a perfect way to reflect, meditate, and heal while we honor our loved ones we have lost to suicide. Final details are still in the works, but I am your Walk Chair, so if you have questions or would like to help, walk, or participate in any way, please contact me.


*The AFSP is the leading organization for research, education, advocacy, and support for suicide prevention in this country. They operate a national suicide crisis hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should be able to make both. Ethan will definitely be with me for the October one. Maybe Chuck for Springfield.