Two recent interactions have pointed me in the direction of looking at things from the perspective of seasons. The first was a chance encounter outside my work building with a lady I hadn't seen in years. She definitely knew about Adam (her son coached Adam in wrestling many years ago) and offered her condolences (tearfully). She then proceeded to tell me about her daughters' battle with breast cancer. She kept telling me it was the Season, and I knew she was referencing the bible because she was also promoting the benefits of prayer and that only God could heal. I didn't really get what she meant but I nodded and struggled to comprehend through context what she was trying to tell me.
A quick check of Google yielded this result from a Christian sermon:
Our foundational scripture is Ecclesiastes 3:1 - 4. (it refers to times, which are seasons) .It reads..”To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up (harvest) that which is planted...
Of course, I have heard the song "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds. A time that has been allotted for something to happen is known as a season. "During a season, things around us are orchestrated in such a manner that our efforts are supported." If I understand it correctly my friend was trying to say not to think of our trials as overwhelming obstacles but as natural passages that we can get strength from a higher power to bear. If anyone can elaborate or explain this better I am all ears.
Grief itself can be compared to seasons. I can't find the article or blog that referenced this so I will just tell you my own experience. The seasons are not in order for me but the first 5-6 weeks felt like winter (the weather just so happened to coincide) to me. Unpredictable, cold, barren, uncomfortable, and wet are some words that come to mind that mimic my emotions during that time. Currently, I am experiencing autumn which for me has always been the onset of seasonal depression. I feel desolate, alone, blowing around like leaves swept up by the wind. Just listen to the song "Send in the Clowns" by Judy Collins and you will get an inkling of the melancholia that has overtaken my soul. I have no idea why that song comes to mind. Interestingly, Judy Collins recorded "Turn, Turn, Turn" also.
I am hoping there will be a spring and summer at some point.
2 comments:
I guess I have gotten my answer about clowns...I posted this, opened Facebook and there's a picture of Adam wearing a rainbow clown wig, posted by dear Kelsey. That is just about too crazy to believe. Actually, I was thinking as I was writing that and listening to Send in the Clowns, how Adam would probably be laughing at me, as it is such a sappy song. Talk about a Sign!
It's pretty obvious he was laughing at you. Now I've heard that song Cal likes on the radio twice. I was also reminded of how Ethan thought he "discovered" this song Africa when it was done by an a capella group. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4yHu8L10jY
I was like "That's an 80's song by Toto, Ethan!"
Post a Comment