Last night a star was twinkling at me, and I felt our spirits connecting.
Adam was an affectionate little tyke, a bit clingy, and always ready to climb into my lap for a story. He was an avid reader from a young age and was thrilled to receive books as presents. He was bright and bubbly and attracted a lot of attention for his cuteness. His favorite movies were Bull Durham (age 2 hence Pat's nickname for him, Nuke) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (age 3 or 4). The first movie I ever took him to was Gremlins (big mistake), he was terrified.
Adam was funny, often hilarious. Whether reflecting on his high school career and sleeping through his science class with Mrs. -- every single day (and the truce they came to), relating his adventures working on a Tollywood movie (the next level down from Bollywood) in LA and Vegas as a go-fer and driver (the kid who learned to drive in Macomb), when his I-pad got stolen and the recovery of it, the ex-convicts and immigrants he worked with, or the note I found when I got up one day about the raccoon eating bread he encountered in our kitchen in the wee hours of the morning, he was a very good story teller.
Generous would be a word to describe Adam the past few years. He kept me well supplied with Teavana teas and paraphernalia, and the boys received thoughtful and expensive gifts such as watches and cash. He loved his material things and shared his good taste with his family.
Adam was hardworking. One summer when he came home from UIS I went off on him after several weeks of what I perceived as lazing and bumming around. I mean, I went ape-shit. The next day he was employed making concrete statues; hard, physical labor that he kept up until it was time to go back to school. I'm sure he was pretty happy when that day arrived.
Adam was passionate about many things, especially the ridiculous immigration laws, helping his friends deal with their legal issues around this, racial injustice, other cultures and eclectic music.
Adam had respect for his elders, patiently listening and spending time with his grandparents to learn how their life experience related to his unique perspective. He spent every holiday with family and valued the sentimentality of our past times; playing games, making strawberries, flexing our intellectual muscles, and "visiting."
.
Yeah, Tara, he was a pretty great guy, and oh so amazing. Thank you for reminding me almost everyday. We all miss him and his bright light. Just look to the stars and you will see it still shining.


1 comment:
Thank you for the follow up on darkness with Adam's twinkliness. He was so much more than his final act--he shines on.
Post a Comment