Sunday, August 26, 2007

First Novel?

This morning on my weekly visit to my folks, my mother handed me a Manilla folder of letters that I had apparently asked her to save for me. In the late 80's early 90's I told her I wasn't keeping a journal and asked that she save my letters as documentation of my life. This was mostly the year my parents and sister were teaching English in China (1987-88) and also the year I was pregnant for the first time. In reading through some of the letters, it appears I wrote a weekly letter on Sunday evenings and there are political commentaries (this was the Reagan era and you can guess what side I was on), cultural reviews (movies, poetry readings), St. Elsewhere updates, significant sporting events, as well as describing my life as a young wife and soon-to-be mother. There was a big stock market crash in the fall of '87 and I was in charge of Mom and Dad's investments, bills and watching over their house from 800 miles away. I've been sitting on the porch reading, and laughing out loud as so many things strike me as simply hilarious. Things I had totally forgotten, and coincidentally, I had just dragged out an old photo album out of the attic and it corresponds to some of the writings. I had completely forgotten being the matron of honor in a co-workers wedding, and the bridal shower which I had pictures of, and couldn't quite figure out who the people were, and why they were wearing lace underpants on their head.

Anyway, I'm thinking my first novel could be titled Letters To My Family. I recently read a novel that was all told through letters, there's a name for it, and it is somewhat out of vogue from what I remember.

Here's a quip. Let me know if you think this would make good general (light) reading material:

October 11, 1987

Here is a real funny bit of American news. Chris probably heard this already. But, Reagan's nominee for the Supreme Court is this extremist Bork. Of course, we hate him (we'd hate anyone Reagan might choose). Well, he is not going to be confirmed by the Senate, because too many people are opposed to him. The last I heard, 52 senators had said they would vote against him. But Reagan refuses to withdraw him before it goes to the actual vote. The judicial committee already opposed him 9 to 4. So, when asked by a reporter if Reagan thought Bork wouldn't be confirmed by the Senate, he replied, "Over my dead body." Bill and I roared when we heard him say that, because it's so obvious he will not be confirmed, and then Reagan will have to commit suicide.

Now that just brought tears to my eyes I laughed so hard. I guess I still have it out for Reagan, God rest his soul.

P.S. I had to check Wikipedia to make sure Bork was indeed rejected for the Supreme Court. Whew.

Another letter describes the scene in St. Elsewhere where Westphal moons the camera. Who could forget that "racy" scene. There is a blow by blow account of the new thriller Fatal Attraction, but many more reviews of international and independent films. There is my struggle with what to do about the nursing home's request to give my grandmother a flu shot that goes as follows:

October 18, 1987

I know of no news of Grandma, except I received a permission slip for her to get a flu vaccine. My gut reaction was to say no, it is stupid to artificially prolong life in this way. Then I thought, well, I don't want to be the cause of her dying while you are away, so maybe she better have it. Then I thought, aren't there some severe side effects from that vaccine, that might result in death? Then I thought, well, maybe I'll call Mary Logsdon, the nurse, but she would probably tell me to ask Uncle Gerry. So finally I decided to write the following on the form: Since my parents are in China for a year, I would like you to do what you did last year in regards to a flu vaccine. If this is not sufficient, please contact my uncle at blah blah blah.

Okay, now I'm giving away my whole book, but do you think it would fly? Or am I just fascinated with myself?

3 comments:

madretz said...

LOL! Funny letters, I'll bet your parents throughly enjoyed reading them every week and kept them connected to things here.

I think you're family would totally LOVE LOVE LOVE having a book of your quips and anecdotes, past and present. They'd understand your subtle jokes and sarcasm. They'd get an understanding of what meant a lot to you and what you took pride in. And it'd be great for your son's future wives and their children to learn about what made you tick. And of course, when you create this book, you'll have all of your blog entries to add to it, also. A wonderful way of preserving family history.

Ginnie Hart said...

Actually, Susan, since you're hitting on "real-life issues," I'm guessing there would be a wide audience for such a book. Seriously!!! I was finding I wanted to read more!

Go for it!

Tag03 said...

I would read your book. You're so funny, and you've found your individual (and humble) "voice."


Tag03,

(Not Shakespeare)