I went to some friends 50th Anniversary Celebration last evening. My association with this family started in junior high or high school really. We were neighbors and went to the same church, but for some reason I didn't become friends with Julie until high school, really. This was her parents anniversary, and when I moved back to my hometown in 1996 I became friends with her mom and dad, joining different community groups that they were in. So, Julie has long since moved away, but with my association with her parents we have stayed somewhat connected.
Anyway, it was a really nice dinner and I sat with Julie and her husband, catching up on our families, the gossip, and reminiscing about old times.
*coffee refill needed*
There were six children in their family and all were there with their families. The youngest boy had put together a wonderful video using music and still photos. I have done some video editing and know first hand how tedious it is, but also how engaging and rewarding it is. This guy scanned and sorted over 4000 pictures and reduced it 4-500. It was a great tribute to the parents and he used some techniques I had never seen. I'll have to find out what program he used.
Always the sociologist, I noted there were 2 divorces out of the six kids (that I'm aware of), so they have not hit the national average. 50 years is a long time to stay married, though much more common in their generation. It's interesting to think of all the things couples go through to make it to that point, many of which only they know. Next year my parents will have their 50th. They do not want a party of any kind, seemingly. I think they went to Niagara Falls for their 25th anniversary. I was wrapped up in my own 20 year old life and barely noticed.
1 comment:
I sometimes miss journaling. It was a pretty raw version of myself, one that I don't put out there in blogging.
And I love family get-togethers, especially when they are someone else's. . . fun to watch the family interact.
Post a Comment