I have to revise my assessment earlier this week of "The Kite Runner" after finishing it today. I was bored in places, but interestingly, when I would pick it back up it would draw me in again. I know I'm a little behind the times, the book was published in 2003, but I had it on my list of books to read a couple of years ago, if that counts for anything. Over Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law's boyfriend highly recommended it and that was the impetus to buy it for Adam for Christmas. Pat was the first to read it, me, second, and Adam has not read it yet, but I'm hoping he will at least start over Spring Break this week.I was also disappointed when I realized this was not an autobiography, and the plot became somewhat unbelievable. This all led me to make some negative comments. However, there was something haunting and redemptive in it. I also appreciated the complexity and fallibility of the characters, which I argued with Pat about. I also fell in love with the little boy who becomes a central character. It ended on a positive, if not ecstatic note, which was realistic. The story came full circle and I found myself looking back to find familiar scenes and phrases. I love the way the author wove "for you, a thousand times over" into the fabric of the story. Very nice. I recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment