Monday, July 10, 2017

Travelblog Day 3

After getting lost on the way to the bank, made it back to the embassy residence in a little over an hour. It should have been 10-15 minutes. I was feeling a little nervous, even knowing the Ambassador personally. Maybe more like foolish. The streets didn't seem to match the map, and the folks I asked for help were of no use.  To boot, when I got back, I thought I only got 150 Euros for 300 Ameican. Checked my wallet and it was actually 252 Euro.

Betsy was kind of mad I ran off by myself while she was sleeping so we walked up to the San Anton Gardens, a public park on the president's palace grounds. By now my feet already getting tired and it's hot as blazes. You will have to check Facebook for pictures as I can't figure out how to add photos on the tablet. We got a cold drink across the way at a public area of the Villa Bologna. BTW, the embassy residence is known as Villa Apap Bologna and is literally across the street (Tiq).

Villa Apap Bolgna (now Queen Elizabeth stayed here with Prince Phillip, and possibly conceived Charles here (according to legend).

After Claudia arrived and we lunched on fresh bread, fruit, meat and cheese, we took our e-taxi to Ta'Quali Arts Village, a repurposed WWII British barracks. There was a bit of a fuss about reserving a return ride for 5:15 because none of us had a cell phone, "no mobile no ride" even though they had agreed earlier by house telephone. Four of us all too cheap to get an international plan. They finally grudgingly agreed, but when we learned all of the shops closed at 4:00, we were somewhat nervous about whether we might be stranded in this rather desolate area.

Here is Claudia and Betsy goofy in front an ironworks shop.

The arts were cool, especially Mdina Glass works, the largest operation. We had to walk up a harrowing road to get there. Did I mention the drivers are kind of crazy and the sidewalks sketchy, if at all. We got back to the village, made some purchases after all these were handmade crafts. And still had over an hour to kill. The toilets were manned by unauthorized attendants whom Betsy paid a dollar to show us where the toilet paper was. This was a man, mind you. After we peed a woman came in to show us which one faucet worked.

We watched everyone close up shop, clear out, and drive away. The Hop On Hop Off bus worriedly made a pass and we waved them on. One lone backpacker walked through as we waited. It seemed longer but our cab got there within five minutes of our requested time and except for his interest in buying 'tactical arms' was a just fine ride.

We dined al fresco on the veranda this evening and it was simply lovely.

No comments: