Thursday, July 13, 2017

The real club Med Day Six

So this happened: today was boat day and Kathleen's first day off. The Ambassador goes Nowhere without security so five of us and two guards piled into a black Suburban. But first it took all the security plus military guard with AK 47 to open the gate. Claudia took a series of hilarious pictures from inside the Suburban that made it look like they were all flogging someone on the ground. It was really a scream...

We were tailed by another black car with security who then stood at attention on the dock while others carried our coolers. We boarded the boat and only Joseph had to actually accompany us. I guess you get used to this when you are the Ambassador??

Here is where Joseph sat for 8+ hours, except when jumped in after Kathleen.

Our boat took off from the marina at Kalkara. We took a harbor cruise, then headed out to sea, forgoing the Blue Lagoon as the wind was not right to go that direction, and too many tourists swimming there anyway. I love old buildings and here is one on the waterfront that is slated to be renovated into shops on the lower level and flats up above.


Wouldn't this be a grand place to live?!

Our captain was the competent, kind and accommodating Alec, an ex-pat Brit who studied film and cinematography before the call of the sea became too strong. We saw many sites on our harbor tour, before reaching our private swimming cove. We got to help raise the sails, and I got to steer the boat. It was much more difficult than it looks. I got us pretty tippy a couple times before voluntarily relinquishing control. Before taking control back Alec goes, "you can turn the autopilot on now" and flipped a switch. Good learning experience.


The cove was not really private but was nearly deserted. I was first to jump off the boat into 6 meters of water you could see to the bottom of. I was surprised to see what looked like waving grass. I floated over to the nearby rocky area and was freaked out by the cushiony matter when I touched down on the rock. I slipped climbing up and broke my string of days without bruising my legs. Got a nasty one. I rescued a broken diving mask from littering the ocean then paddled back on my noodle.

Kathleen and Ethan were next out to explore what we dubbed the Azure porthole or portal if you prefer. Shortly after they swam off we see Joseph dash below deck then dive in after Kathleen. Apparently you can't let the Ambassador drown. When they got back, Ethan and I took off for another cove since Alec had now jumped in and we seemed to have plenty of time. This time I took goggles, and it was fascinating to explore the sea floor and underwater rocks. I also saved the ocean from a wooden clothespin. Just doing my part for the environment.

We took a leisurely cruise back and discovered more rocky swimming areas and one tiny beach. It's so unique how the Maltese mostly swim off the rocks, cliffs, and ledges. We saw a large shipping operation, and I napped and sunned on the deck and it was truly divine.

Back at the marina, we were met by our "team." BTW, security is local Maltese.We returned our cargo to the trunk where I noticed bullet proof vests and felt even more Bourne or Salt. I thought I was going to have to stop the brigade to hurl, but I made it without incident. Betsy and I stayed up late talking, and I felt my bed pitching all night, which was a pleasant sensation. I do love the rocking and everything about a boat.

No comments: