Friday, July 14, 2017

Day Seven in Paradise

I totally lost blog steam on Friday and was consumed with my digestive tract, not upset just extremely lethargic. I just invented the term Poop Lag (as opposed to Jet Lag). Kathleen took us on a fun day to Sliema for some shopping. This included the armored Suburban, two body guards and the tail car with two guards. I don't know why I am so fascinated with this? At the mall, two guards, one who was actually Malta police, followed her everywhere. I didn't see if they inspected the bathrooms before they let her enter. I'll try to remember to ask.

You can see Darren in the white shirt and unnamed police in the blue (click on picture
to enlarge) waiting for 
Kathleen outside a store. (I was kind of afraid to take their picture too close).

We walked the Strand with one of the guys in front and one behind Kathleen at all times.





At first we thought he was strategically placed behind a rock or wearing a thong but when he flipped over one of his balls got caught for a moment between his legs. Argh I hate when that happens.
I thought these rocks were really neat. They were cut to help trap salt.

Sliema Strand

It sure is nice when your Subrban drops you off at point A and picks you up at point B! We had a nice lunch at Mama Mia where the guards ate pizzas at a nearby table. The Suburban then dropped us tourists off at Mdina,  Mdina...Malta's oldest city, completely walled, situated inland and high above Valletta. It was surprisingly breezy and cool here.

Related image

St. Paul's Cathedral (built 1697-1702)

Mdina is one of Europe's finest examples of an ancient walled city and extraordinary in its mix of medieval and baroque architecture. The history of Mdina traces back more than 4000 years. According to tradition it was here that in 60 A.D. that the Apostle St. Paul is said to have lived after being shipwrecked on the Islands. Furthermore it is said that St. Paul resided inside the grotto know as Fuori le Mura (outside the city walls) now known as St. Paul's Grotto in Rabat. Lamp lit by night and referred to as "the silent city", Mdina is fascinating to visit for its timeless atmosphere as well as its cultural and religious treasures.
This photo is of St. Paul's Cathedral, and was actually built after St. John's (hence the moniker "Co-Cathedral) in Valletta, however I think that is due to having to rebuild.

We ended the day in residence having a sing along of show tunes with Claudia at the baby grand piano. Our singing was reminiscent of Florence Foster Jenkins, but we had fun.

No comments: