Today we went for a small boat ride to the Blue Grotto. This is what I've been missing- the clear blue Mediterranean Sea. We are staying and touring mostly inland, so this was thrilling to get out on the water. The only problem being, I didn't know we could swim there. People are climbing and jumping off the cliffs everywhere or just lounging on the rocks or in the sea. Then again maybe it was a good thing. Most all of them had hot little bodies. Ethan jumped and somersaulted in in his shorts. Good for him! Claudia and I thought he was in the porta potty with gastric distress for that half hour or so.
Here we are getting ready for our boat ride.
The porta potties are attended, too, just to keep you abreast of local toileting issues. So the Blue Grrotto has a perfect view of the islet of Filfla, jutting out of the Med and used for target practice by the Brits until 1970 when it was declared a nature sanctuary. Our driver claimed white sharks have their babies there and then travel on. Did not see any shark tank rentals for my sister and me to dive in, 47 Meters Down-style.
Our little boat to the grottos held about 8 people. The water and the cave structures were stunning. The pictures just can't do it justice, like most things. It was only about a half hour ride or less. Ate on the terrace above, an early lunch. I thought our Serbian waiter was tastier than the food.
The Blue Grotto
Betsy and I entering the ephemeral light.
Our e-taxi arrived early to carry us to the Hagar Qim and Mnajdra temples built ca 3600 BC. The 4D movie offered the comfiest seat in all of Malta with cold air conditioning, cushions, wind, rain (mist) and surround sound. Didn't tell much about the temples. We walked the covered temples, contemplating the enormity and significance of it all, and Ethan and I hoofed it back up the hill. As we have come to say, "If Ruth can do it, so can I." Kathleen told us about Ruth Bader Ginsburg's (heretofore RBG) itinerary, at 85 after two bouts of cancer, and it put us all to shame. The temples were surely built on a stunning location.
Model of the Temples
Back at the ranch, I took a dip then walked up to the market for provisions. Our chef Rodrigo is preparing us a Mexican feast with chorizo. I don't think that is commonly found here. It smells divine. And with that I am going to hop back in the moment and enjoy he rest of my day. Ciao xoxo




No comments:
Post a Comment