Tuesday, July 04, 2017

July 4th

Good morning! Up at 5:00 a.m. on a holiday, what's the deal?

Maybe it's because of my upcoming vacation to Malta, or maybe the 4th today, but I have been thinking more than usual about Adam, popping up little thoughts, images and memories in my mind. It's still hard to believe he won't be celebrating today.

Fourth of July has never been my holiday, but whenever possible, Adam would spend it with his grandparents and dad at Riverside Lakes in Nebraska. Bill and I were never big on fireworks, but Riverside Lakes and the rest of the Tuttle clan take homemade fireworks displays to a new level. I think the Tuttles probably kept me shielded from what was really taking place. I saw (and heard) it for myself one year when Cal and I stopped over on our way home from a trip to North Dakota.

I was tired from driving and had a terrific headache and the banging was going on all day and night. I remember hiding in a back room of the basement trying to get some sleep and hoping no one would get hurt. Adam was at ease sitting on the retaining wall above the beach lighting off bottle rockets, M-80's, Roman candles, and lady fingers. He was around 17, and I guess he was well-schooled over the years by his uncles and Grandpa Tuttle.

I can't remember if we drove Adam back to Illinois, or were just stopping in because we were in the neighborhood. Anyway, this holiday will always remind me of Adam enjoying his time with his dad's side of the family. A piece of him will always be there.

No comments: