Saturday, March 19, 2016

Ride Store

It felt weird.sad coming to Betsy's without Adam even though it has been many years since Adam made this trip. There are still many memories stored here.


Betsy/Adam in Monster Trucks, Chris/Adam are in the top airplane

Yesterday was an "up" day. Could have been the clear, sunny, warm weather, fresh air, nice walk over the Big Four bridge. I was running through the parking lot at Hobby Lobby pushing a cart pretending to run into people. We shopped at Bass Pro Shop,  formerly known as The Ride Store to us. Betsy discovered this mall with kiddie rides shortly after moving to Louisville to start the Ph.D. program at U of L. Now the Bass Pro has taken over the closed down mall and there are no more rides. Our kids enjoyed going there every time we visited, and Adam was the first. While still a toddler he could play freely in a carpeted area with big vinyl covered geometric shapes. I remember wanting to just sit there and veg as I was a little exhausted by motherhood. Later he could ride the mini airplane ride and the mini monster trucks (with an assist from an adoring aunt and uncle). Still later it was the simulator ride he enjoyed. He introduced it all to Eli and Cal after they came along. I'll find some pictures after I get home.


Fun at the old River Falls Mall (Ride Store) in Clark County, IN

Today was cold, dreary and down. I didn't exercise at all. I finally got to talk to my good friend ML from Buffalo. That picked me up. We had an early dinner at Four Sisters Vietnamese French restaurant. I had Vietnamese coffee for the first time. Delish. It tasted like very high quality chocolate milk (A+ Adam). We went to Grease tonight and I found myself crying when Ethan sang his Magic Changes song. I thought Man of LaMancha was going to have me in tears last fall, but no, Grease makes me cry. Go figure. Ethan played Doody not Kinicky. Whatever.


Relaxin' after the show

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I completely forgot about that animatronic beaver...there was a little train in the early days, and that was the station--I think that was gone by the time the younger boys came along. My memory of the boys at the ride store was that Adam and Cal were more cautious, whereas Eli and Ethan would hop on anything. The coaster simulator was fun...the kids all finally got "big" enough to ride it alone. I also took Adam to the Louisville zoo when he was three. He was such a great kid to take places--he always had fun and was curious. Also did the science museum a few times and I let him go in that maze by himself. He had those light up shoes, so I could see him running around under the barriers--they didn't touch the floor. I was so afraid I'd lose him until I realized I could track him in there by his shoes.

susan d said...

That reminded me of the time we went to the Zoo and they had the climbing wall. Adam buzzed up to the top really quick. No fear. Great upper body strength.