I no longer wake up crying, more just thinking. Before work I washed up some of Adam's clothes. We have pretty much dispersed his things to family members and friends but there were a couple of shirts I thought the boys might want, plus I wanted to return his work uniforms to Little Saigon. Why?? I figure that's one less thing someone has to buy; they could just hang them up for people to wear if they forget or spill something if no one needs them. So I am taking them out of the dryer to put on hangers and out falls a $20 bill. Grab another shirt and out falls another $20 bill. I wonder how he knew I spent all my cash this weekend. Later on I pull out the rest of the clothes, a third $20 bill for Pat.
We gave some of Adam's coats** to his old boss/friend Mike, and he stopped by wearing one of his coats, and handed us a set of keys from the pocket.
Adam with an early grilled cheese smile
*Adam had no less than 10 pairs of new and like-new sneakers.
**Adam had multiple coats; apparently he was known to bet coats when out with friends (Fight Club?).
I am not ashamed or stigmatized by what has happened. I'm just getting tired.

3 comments:
Emotions, expressed, hidden, buried, surging, waning--they are tiring--they will wear you down. Even if you are sleeping better and exercising so your physical needs are met, you are coping psychologically and however you do that, it takes a great deal of energy, but not something people usually quantify. The emotional drain can take a toll just like recovering from surgery or having a baby. This is a tremendous shock and requires patience and strength and time to heal. And just like with my broken arm that still aches on rainy days, you can never completely heal. There will always be those reminders but maybe some day rather than thinking about the grilled cheese sandwiches you won't make again, you'll find strength in all the ones you did make over the years and the expressions of love for Adam--the countless ways you cared for your best boy.
But I also wanted to comment on all the stuff left in Adam's pockets--or just thank you for that insight. Sounds so like him and gave me a smile today...
I found another $20 when I got the last of that load out of the dryer!
Post a Comment