Sunday, February 21, 2016

Denecke Love

The Deneckes who accepted Adam as one of their own from Day 1, have been profoundly affected by his death, as this cherished letter shows. The last line captures something no one else has said.


The Denecke cousins up to the point Adam and I entered (Adam in green hoodie) 
this enormous and loving family

*if you click on the pictures they will enlarge*


Susan, Orv, Eli and Cal, 

An hour does not go by where I don't get hit by a wave of sadness thinking about you guys. I first think about the hole that has been created in my soul never to be filled again. I then think about what Adam must have been feeling and cry for his sadness and struggles. My thoughts then turn to all of you and I struggle to keep myself together. Your sadness and loss must be exponentially worse than my own and that is impossible to imagine.

I understand you have received tremendous support over the past several weeks that has provided some level of comfort. I need you to know that you all must lean on us, your family, to continue to provide support over the coming months and years. We feel so deeply for your loss and will do anything to help you through times of struggle. What happened is sad, it is not fair and hard to understand. These facts will never change and we all need to figure out ways to pull you through the low points. 

You represent the greatest family on earth. Everything you do, all the decision you have made in life, all come back to "the family". I try to model myself after you all but I can't compare - your commitment to family and each other is 100% pure. The fact that you are such a wonderful family makes this tragedy more painful. I can only hope that the wonderful legacy Adam left will somehow relieve some of the pain.  

I will always remember Adam by his smirkish, mischievous smile that said to me "I am happy, I am up to something, and I am going to laugh when you finally figure it out."

I love you all, 


Charlie Jr. (Uncle Chib-A-Pet)

Post Script: Charlie Jr. (aka Nipsy) is the third to youngest of the 10 Denecke siblings. My boss (who is a therapist also) says to look out for STUG (sudden temporary upsurge of grief). I think I am having one now mixed with deep appreciation for people and life.


Adam in Mard's basketball hoop


Patrick (facing away), Adam (catcher's mask) and Kobie (a Coke and a Lacrosse stick)
These three were all born in 1988


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That first picture of the cousins is funny--that group has probably doubled by now, right? The next generation is sprouting up! Thank goodness for all that Denecke Love.

Unknown said...

Uncle Chib has a way with words. He's another unbelievably fantastic parent whom I look up to as much as you and Orv. I'm grateful to have all of you as examples.