Sunday, February 07, 2016

Celebrating the Life of Adam 2-6-16

I went to bed smiling for the first time in five nights last night. I woke again around 2:15 a.m. crying. That's how it goes.

Friday night was a Vick-Tuttle-Denecke-Porter night to remember. Excellent food, Mom. Many memories, stories, love, music, and dare I say, alcohol passed around. I am pleased to have keep my 16+ years sobriety in tact, and could find patience and humor with those who chose otherwise. Grief has many different effects on people. I will have to say my parents made the right move taking their old piano to their new home, as it put Adam's father Bill at ease and reminded me what first attracted me to him. Ethan and Bill jammed the blues on the piano: Bill, Eli and Hannah freestyled "I'll Fly Away" on piano, ukelele, and trumpet; and Bill played and sang a heartfelt  "Your Song" by Elton John.

Adam's memorial service was more perfect than I could hope. An outpouring of love, stories, hugs, food, plants, flowers, tears, and professionalism was sincerely felt. Thank God for Uncle Tim, Uncle Kevin, Uncle Chris, Aunt Betsy, Grandpa Vick, Tim Yu, Ashleigh Lockhart, and Pat's guts, emotions, insight, intelligence, and willingness to share the Adam they knew. The music was freaking out of this world (Bill, Jordan and Ethan you have gifts most of wish we had a fraction of). Everything came together with divine intervention (thank you Adam and God) from the slideshow Eli and I put together to the food spread Brenda laid out for us.

The weather was gorgeous, yet time and temperature read -99 degrees (hilarious Adam) and ISU beat Witchita State (Cal thanks you). I have to hand it to you, Adam, your timing was impeccable.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us contribute. I wasn't sure who you wanted to speak, if anyone, so I'm thankful we were invited to do so. I meant a lot to say goodbye for both Ethan and me, so we really appreciated and were honored by the opportunity.