Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunny Albuquerque

This respite to Albuquerque in the works for a year and ticketed since early January has been restorative to say the least. Friday I was a little tender, having gotten up at 2:45 a.m. for an early flight. Arrived after noon in ALBQ. We had to return an Aerobed to Costco and ate our way through the store on tasty samples.

I got to tell the story of Adam to yet another avid listener and fellow mother. Our kids were an even bigger topic than usual. After fresh bread and homemade dipping oil with a side of fresh tomatoes I retired early and had the best nearly 11hours of sleep I can remember. We had the recommended specialties for breakfast (mammoth cinnamon rolls and breakfast burritos on homemade flour tortillas) at the iconic Frontier restaurant on Central Street, aka Route 66. ALBQ is a wee bit tacky compared to Santa Fe, and Alyson calls it the Wild West where the rules don't apply, eg you are expected to bribe the police and judges and gun toting is mandatory and obvious, though I haven't actually seen that yet. The locals have names like Bronc, Laredo and Shaw.

Off to Ojo Caliente mineral springs past the beautiful Espanola valley. The spa is up a bit in the mountains and features multiple outdoor shared hot springs, one being Arsenic pool which is somehow good for you. We spent about four hours in various temperatures from tepid to sizzling, took in the steam room and sauna, ate our picnic lunch of quinoa salad, swung in hammocks and commented on the array of hairy backs. It was about 70 degrees outside, the canyon walls rising up around us, the sky clear blue; just what my soul needed.

Back to ALBQ and my request to make our own pizzas at one of Alyson's Dominos. It was a blast putting on apron sans hairnet and pretending to be employed! My pan pizza and marble brownies were pretty damn good, too. Went to bed quite stuffed.



It surprises me how the sounds through the window are country and not city. Enjoying the music of Toto and Bonnie Rait. It's good to be among one's own generation.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you'd been planning this prior to February. I think it something you needed but might not have done if not for being committed to it for so long. The Wild West does sound like a good escape and the sunny days sound encouraging.