Cal was watching a game Wednesday night with a friend(s) with sound muted (standard Denecke-Tuttle procedure) when Cal said to Elena, "I'd like to listen to music." For about five seconds the volume on the TV flipped on to play music from a commercial.
On Thursday on the way home from Springfield with boxes of Adam's stuff in the van, Pat was talking about finding the Raptor's ball he bought Adam before we moved to Macomb at a Raptor/Bulls game, with Michael Jordan's comeback team. Adam was enamored of the ball and apparently stared it instead of watching the game. As Pat is telling me this story, we hear frantic beeping from one the boxes, one of Adam's bazillion watch alarms was going off! Adam wanted the story told at his memorial service. He continued to comment through the watch alarms on the way home, letting us know when he approved of what we were saying.
I had been thinking back over the last time I communicated with Adam which was by email. We talked about the 2 dragon coins from my mom's house I had found in a box in the basement I wanted to give him. He was excited that I now had one to give him (I wasn't sure I had the original one my parents had given me for Adam the year he was born). It was bugging me that I had actually deleted my emails very recently and I couldn't read the messages and find out the date I last heard from him. Over the weekend, something messed up my email, and I shut everything down on my computer and when I restarted the next day, my email came back in Safe Mode. All my messages were back, and I could see that I sent him a message on 1/29/16 that he didn't reply to. The conversation about the dragons took place on Sunday January 24th.
A quick trip to the attic to retrieve Adam's box of baby memorabilia revealed that I had the original dragon coin plus now the two from my parent's house. I was able to give Eli, Cal and Ethan each one before the memorial service. For those not familiar, these coins are housed in beautiful silk covered boxes with tiny bone fasteners. They were purchased in China in 1988 before my parents and sister returned from their year of teaching in Sichuan Province.Perfect.
Illinois State beats Witchita State on Saturday after the service. Go Redbirds!
Denver wins the Superbowl (Adam's birthplace). Go Broncos!
Eli told me his first day back to student teaching (2/8/16) the junior high band was playing a piece called "Year of the Dragon." He had his dragon coin in his pocket.
4 comments:
This is such a beautiful post. I wish I could cry more easily. I've definitely been moved to tears a few times by music or by happiness. I like to think of it not as a sad cry but just experiencing the overflow of emotion. Sometimes when I want to cry and I can't I feel so emotionally constipated. No bueno. On another note- How did I not know about your blog? I must be the most self-indulgent blogger on the planet to not realize it. You are an amazing writer Auntie! xoxo
It sounds like he's trying to tell you guys that he's okay- and I hope he is. More importantly I hope you guys are hanging in there. Love to you all.
I can't help but think about how positive all those signs sound. It's as if he's tapping you all on the shoulder to say 'I'm okay.' <3
Beautiful posts, my wonderful Girl! Finally was able to read them since I'm "back at work." Thank you for sharing at such a difficult time--I know how important it is for you to be able to write it out. You're an amazing gift to us all!
Post a Comment