Sunday, September 09, 2007

Here it is


This was what I was going to blog about. Now that I can't sleep I figured out (God's grace) how to change the format of this picture so blogger would upload it. Aha.
We *as in my family* are going to participate in a Danish exchange in about two weeks. The kids pictured above are from a small private school in Niva, outside Copenhagen. They are going to visit for two weeks, followed by our kids having the opportunity to go there for two weeks in March. I may even chaperone if all the stars align properly. My passport badly needs a workout. I have only been traveling vicariously through blogger Ginnie and it's made me hungry.
So, we had an email from our kid, Toke. First off, the name conjures up certain images (my children are thankfully unfamiliar). Is Denmark anything like the Netherlands?? He's 14, turning 15 before arriving. He's heavily into skateboarding- we used to have a couple of skateboards and we live a block from the local skateboard park. Too bad it's completely lame. Then he mentions he plays drums, guitar and music is a huge part of his life. Bam, that's Boy14. We are very excited. We have a drum set, bass and I'm sure we can borrow a guitar. I hear jam session. Two neighbors within a block are having two other boys so if they get bored or homesick, they can get together.
Reportedly, they aren't interested in visiting a big city, like say New York. They've seen big cities. They want to visit Macomb, Illinois!! I'm not sure who brainwashed them on that one. Actually, this exchange has occurred with this school the past three years, so perhaps they really have heard good things about small town American life.
The cool thing to me is my paternal grandfather's heritage is Danish, so maybe we will learn something about our cultural roots. We can always hope anyway.
Now your turn to guess which one is Toke. It's a bit hard to tell the girls from the boys, but I'll give you one clue: it's not the one who looks like Pippen in the front row.

2 comments:

madretz said...

that is very exciting news! Looking forward to reading about your blog posts during those two weeks.
hummm...i'd guess that a Danish skater dude into music would look like the brunette dead center in the back dressed in black or one of the blonde's with long hair on either side of the brunette, also in black.

susan d said...

First guess is the RIGHT one!