I am a little concerned that computers are taking over way too much of my life. This morning when I got to work, our computers were down. You wouldn't think this would be a big component of social work. But, this completely threw me off, as I had a progress note to write from yesterday, and god forbid I do any work late. Next problem was, I had no schedule to look at, no email, no internet access. The schedule wouldn't be such a problem if I sat in the office all day waiting for clients to show up, but I could be expected at a home visit or an appointment in the community and not know it. I vaguely remembered some of my schedule, but felt totally insecure to not see it in front of me. I knew there were issues that happened yesterday after I left work that were answered in emails I couldn't see, and I had emails to write just to function. I had to actually pick up the phone! How last century ago. I couldn't schedule people for future appointments, look up their phone numbers from my desk, oh, I was just a mess. By 1:00 we were back in business and I was able to complete all my notes, print tomorrow's schedule in case the damn thing is broke again, and generally feel somewhat back in control.
Yesterday, when I got home from work my internet connection wasn't working on either the laptop or desktop which necessitated a call to the provider since I couldn't access my on-line class, update my blog, check on my friend's baby in the intensive care nursery or see what my family was up to. It seems I can't go one day without the computer.
All of this time and energy invested in technology has made me appreciate the low tech aspects of graduate school, like books made out of paper and cardboard, in person class discussion, seeing the faces and hearing the voices of my classmates and teachers (even the most annoying ones), writing a rough draft the old fashioned way with a pencil scraping across lined paper. I could never earn a degree completely on-line. A class here and there allows me to spend more time at home, but adds immeasurably to my stress level when things don't go right.
1 comment:
Yes, we're totally dependent on our electronics. It's very freaky and kind of scary since they are so vulnerable to all kinds of things. I remember when the Love Bug virus shut our work down for two days!
Post a Comment