Sunday, August 22, 2010

Back to School

It's that time again when I struggle to control my emotions. I actually liked school and was fairly good at it, but there's something scary in the start of each new year. I am challenged with a new job and have been at it a week. I wanted to work in the schools and my dream came true. So why is it so difficult? Fear of the unknown is mostly what I have come up with.

Boy(man?)/22 is getting his meager belongings together to go back to school today. He has a furnished apartment and there is not much needed. He survives on next to nothing anyway. It's hard to know how one goes seemingly without food, shampoo, laundry soap, etc. I mean, he has access to these things, but comes back at the end of the year with them still in his car.

The high school boys start back Wednesday but have their first soccer games Monday and Tuesday. Marching band is in full rehearsal as well. Getting their physicals and registration fees and lunch accounts set up, I discovered I neglected the car registration on the boys' shared car. So much to keep track of. My head is spinning and my stomach churning. I'll let ya know when things calm down a bit but for now, I better get busy living.

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

The beginning of any school year was always overwhelming for me, Susan, especially after seeing the syllabus for each class (as a student). I'd have to remind myself that I didn't have to get everything done in the first week of school. As a teacher I think it IS scary because you don't know yet what the dynamic will be between teacher and student. The audience gives you energy...is what I was always told, when I used to lead seminars. I'm sure you'll be soaring along soon enough...and will wish it for you (and boys).

Anonymous said...

You will be a terrific resource for your kids at school. You shine and are highly-valued at every job you've done, going all the way back to serving ice cream. You will be great at this, but I know your personality prevents you from believing that in the beginning. The school has that faith in you already and I always have that faith in you.