Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Career Change

I got something off my chest today and I feel great. Ever since Oct. 24 when I registered for Spring classes, I knew I would be leaving my job next summer to pursue my career in school social work. I got approval for my schedule change (I will be off Wednesdays to travel 2.5 hours each way and take 9 hours of classes at the University) shortly after that. This means I will be working later the other weekdays to make up my 32 hour schedule. Grueling.

Anyway, I wasn't sure when to break the news to my boss that I don't plan to continue in the field of mental health at my current place of employment (after 12 years of service). So, I decided today was the day. His reaction? "Oh, I thought you were graduating in May and would be looking for other employment anyway." Needless to say, there were no tears or pleas for my continued servitude. This is my 11th supervisor in 12 years, so no love lost apparently.

I feel better getting it out in the open, even if no one really cares.


"Aspiring Social Worker"

Angie and I can hardly wait to lunch at our new restaurant "Jimmie John's" sub shop tomorrow. Actually, I'm more caught up in her excitement- a cold sandwich and a big pickle doesn't thrill me that much. We've been talking about it all week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. You are a brave soldier. I expect they'll miss you when your gone too. Best of luck.

Ginnie Hart said...

Good for you, Susan. I know what it feels like when you get something off your chest. The weight of the world falls off your shoulders! (Where did we get all these expressions?!)