I did a pretty poor job (no job) of blogging (bragging?) about my recent Mediterranean cruise. For some reason, I was thinking about the day we had in Nice, France, on April 22, 2023. Our ship docked in Villefranche-sur-Mer, on the French Riviera, where many celebrities summer, and home to Monaco, the Cannes film festival, and Monte Carlo. There were excursions to these locales, but we didn't have an excursion planned so we 'winged it.' We did a little research, and I was keen to get to the roof top of Museum of Modern Art and Contemporary Art in Nice, for "the best views in the city."
We hopped right off the ship, no tendering needed, and explored the welcoming area of the port before boarding a Hop On Hop Off bus to Nice. Good luck figuring out how to get a ticket.
We drove past the beautiful Promenade along the water, before the bus turned onto a city street and abruptly stopped. No explanation was given, but everyone had to get off. Since I had a destination and tourist map in hand, we took off on foot, and quickly found ourselves at the Promenade des Arts. We were seated at a street cafe looking around when we figured out the museum was just to the right of us.
Sidewalk cafe with extremely slow service
Betsy taking pics in the Promenade des Arts while waiting for our food
MAMAC
The climb to the top of the museum was, interesting, we skipped looking at the most of the art, running from one escalator to another to stairs, to finally arriving on the roof. The building seemed pretty beat up and old. Not like an American museum. But the views from the roof did not disappoint!
The curvy walkways and heights gave me chills. You can't really tell without the 360 degree panoramic how bizarre this space was.
Pano- looks cooler on Facebook 360
Bird's eye view of Nice
Pano- you could literally step over this rail and jump. It freaked me out.
We somehow found our way back to a Hop On stop and toured back to the ship. I was beginning to feel woosy and became sick by the next day.









1 comment:
Thank you for this memory. I, who am usually afraid of heights, did not find the museum roof scary, but I could tell Susan was jumpy. As I recall, Susan was already getting sick and not feeling great, lunch took sooooooooooo long, so that by the time we got to the museum, (which was also complicated to even find our way into...) we really had to rush through, which caused some consternation between us. We split apart on the roof to go our own ways and found peaceful views, a lovely garden up there and I could see Susan across the way as we made our way around in opposite directions. It was a nice way to reflect and enjoy our own space so we were much friendlier on the bus ride home. :-) I do recommend the museum if you are in Nice and have the time--not the usual tourist thing to do, and I was feeling very French in the way we found our way around the city.
Post a Comment