Reflections of 2023
I left my job of almost 9 years and embarked on a new adventure with more hours, longer commute, and new technology challenges. One silver lining is viewing the stunning sunsets on my drive home. Dusk on the open prairie is unmatched. I do often think of Calvin sitting on the beach watching the same sun go down over the ocean.
I started an Instagram series "Wednesdays in Oquawka" where I photograph interesting little gems in this Mississippi River town. I also dine with the local seniors occasionally and that has been a fun way to connect with the community I now serve.
Betsy and I took a true dream vacation to the Mediterranean in April. 10 days and nights at sea from Venice to Barcelona, around the boot of Italy. Every day was a new port and exciting adventure. Honestly, my favorite part was sitting on our balcony after a tiring day, watching the other passengers board, and pulling out to sea with, again, gorgeous sunsets behind breathtaking shorelines, mountains and cliffs.
I joined a Book Club this fall, something I have always wanted to do, and like my mom, I am the "old lady" of the group. I see why she values this so much, getting to know some new faces and personalities, listening to how they speak and think about life. Excluding me and one other older woman, the average age is probably 40.
As always, the Out of the Darkness Walks sustained my mission to honor and pay forward Adam's life, and I get much more in return than I give.
Watching my kids succeed in the world has been my biggest pride and joy. When I have a down day, I think of them and their impact on the world, and I can't help but be happy. I am forever grateful they let me be part of their lives.
Pat has been by my side almost 33 years. Through the occasional testiness, frequent snoring, and ups and downs of life, we have found a way to laugh and peacefully cohabitate and reach our goals together.
2 comments:
Reflections, whether of an event or the passage of a year, truly make us stop long enough to remember...to remember especially that/what we don't want to forget. So, brava to you, Susan, for this honorable exercise to welcome this new year, 2024.
I enjoy every time I open your blog. Such a great record of our lives!
Post a Comment