Wow, I just saw some Facebook drama on a community page, throwing around the "Karen" word. Can I first say, I'm so sorry to all the good Karens of the world? I know a few, no, I know many, and now they get a bum wrap for having been given a name that has become synonymous with white entitlement and privilege.
Now to admit the hard part. I had judgmental thoughts about the post "Karyn" so rudely commented on. Luckily I think before I click, most of the time.
This morning I woke up to a text message asking me to make a casserole for a family in need. Do I want to do it? Do I have time to do it? Not really, but guess what? Yesterday we smelled gas in the house and I called Ameren to check it out. Suffice it to say, we are safe and down $619 in our checking account. Probably half the families in our town couldn't have afforded the bill on the spot like that. They would be out of their home, probably have frozen water pipes, and who knows how they would scrape up that kind of money to fix the problem and have their gas turned back on? Did I mention the temperature was in the single digits?
Not only did Ameren provide prompt service, our local heating company came out within an hour and spent nearly 4 hours repairing four gas leaks. We are truly blessed this was taken care of so promptly. The least I could do was pack him a warm dinner to go.
I don't know what it's like to flee a domestic violence situation with multiple children, although I was technically homeless with a child once upon a time. I always knew I had family support, though I was loathe to ask for help. This "Susan" needs to check herself and make the casserole.
1 comment:
It wasn't for a family in need per se, but I knew a friend was going through a tough time. I was making a quiche for the family and you always have to buy two pie crusts. One usually just sits in the freezer for six months and then gets broken up, freezer-burned and then composted...This time, I thought it is just as easy to make two quiches really as one so I made both and took one to my friend. I guess my point is that sometimes it is easier than we think to create an extra serving for others...so I'm glad you shared with your Ameren friend.
Post a Comment