Monday, June 27, 2016

2016

2016 was my 35th high school reunion. It would have been Adam's 10th from the same school. As I was thinking of this this evening and getting ready to snap a picture of Adam in 2006, I got the most wonderful news:



As I sat down to talk with a couple of friends last night after the reunion, the song Africa came on. As I have mentioned before this song was special to Adam because it reminded him of his parents. Just the opening I needed to talk about Adam to these friends who probably didn't know how to bring it up. You know, the elephant in the room syndrome. It was cathartic for me and hopefully enlightening for them to learn more about him and how someone deals with a grief so unimaginable.

Adam with grandparents in 2006- Graduation Day


* if you click on the images, they will get bigger.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ten year reunion--so young. I remember my 10 year reunion and thinking about the future--it's eons ago. So sad for the kids at their 10-year to have to think about those who have already gone way too soon, but especially for us thinking about Adam and all the years he had ahead to figure things out.

Ginnie Hart said...

35...10. Both are big milestone reunions, Susan. I'm so glad you have had some cathartic moments with this as it relates to Adam. And I think you're really doing us all a favor, including yourself, to "talk" about it. Thank you.

madretz said...

Planting a tree will be such a great tribute and a memorial. I agree completely with Ginnie, you are doing us a favor by talking about it here. I thank you, too.