Sunday, February 20, 2011

Two unrelated stories

I finally figured out why I like driving my big Buick so much. When I was 16-17 my family acquired an old (even at that time) Ford Galaxy which was a yucky color of green. For some reason, I loved driving that car. Today when I heard "After the Love Has Gone" by Earth, Wind and Fire, I remembered a moment at the old SuperAmerica gas station in that car with that song playing. Back then, all we had was radio, so when your favorite song came on, the world stopped. That car was a divine boat to drive, but had a habit of over heating. I did use that to my advantage from time to time when I wanted to play the damsel in distress. Well, the Buick LeSabre is the biggest car I've driven since then and I love the smooth ride.

When I visited St. Petersburg, Russia in 2001, it was very clear the impact of World War II was profound on the city and its people. The guides often spoke of the devastation, starvation,and near destruction of their city by the Neva by the Germans. They are proud to have prevailed to save their city.

"City of Thieves" by David Benioff is a character sketch set in St. Petersburg under seige during this time period. Lev, a naive and sexually inexperienced 17 year old Jew, and Kolya, a cocky, confident, ladies man of 22 who has been accused of deserting the army are an unlikely pairing who meet in jail. The story revolves around a desperate search for a dozen eggs but more aptly depicts the emotional maturation of a boy becoming a man with stunning and simple, humorous and brutal prose. I am near the middle of the book and already know it is one I wish would never end. I am parceling it out slowly so I can savor it fully.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having had some personal experience with this statement: That means, they don't fit in well with the general students and teachers. Some are just quirky, weird, or odd. I hope that as funding for education gets cut that kids who aren't the model students, for whatever reason, don't get left behind again. It seems like it's taken a long time to get to the point where counselors like you are able to discern the different issues that make kids "troubling" to teachers. I hope it doesn't end now--wish we had a counselor as perceptive as you at our school. On the topic of Denmark, please include lots more updates. It's so exciting--pictures, too?

Anonymous said...

Did you check tickets for Florida, btw?