Thank you Betsy for getting me addicted to movies again. Since I've been reading Entertainment Weekly weekly, I'm pretty tuned into this years awards nominees. I have seen most of the nominated films. The Golden Globes (GG) were thus a really interesting show for me, plus Matt Damon was seated right in front of the stage and got numerous camera views besides his presentation to Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro or one of them old guys. My first comment is that I'm happy to see Matt's non-celebrity wife is looking more and more comfortable at these events. It would be hard to walk in there and be compared to Angelina Jolie and the gang.
My first comment is, I love the way Annette Benning embraces her age. She is not trying to glam it up whatsoever. Maybe she just feels great next to her 80 year old husband Warren Beatty, so she doesn't have to put on any airs. But the hair, interchangable with Al Pacino? If you missed it, try Google images. It's awful.
Christian Bale is as nutty as his character Dicky Eklund in the "The Fighter." When he got up after winning his GG and started talking in a British accent I thought he was putting it on. So, after seeing "The Fighter" tonight I doubted myself after I told Pat he is British. He did Boston well. He is from England. He and Jeremy Renner from "The Town" and "Hurt Locker" are two excellent character actors who will probably keep reaping the awards.
I about threw up in my mouth when Natalie Portman gave her little speech. I thought "Black Swan" was really good for a horror genre film, but her little baby raspy voice is annoying. And when she announced she was pregnant and her 'boyfriend' loves to sleep with her which proves he's a good actor (and incidentally not a gay ballet dancer), ugh. I guess her awkward extended laugh afterwards has gone viral.
I was actually touched by Claire Danes' acceptance and tribute to Temple Grandin, the talented animal scientist with autism. Ditto for Chris Colfer, the gay teen on Glee.
Kudos to "The Social Network" which sounds really boring but wasn't, unless of course you are not addicted to Facebook.
Loved Ricky Gervais as host. Who is this guy? I thought it interesting that the celebrities were not laughing at what I thought were pretty funny jokes. I think they were afraid to be seen endorsing the ridiculing of their peers. Entertainment Weekly had an editorial calling him "Icky Ricky" because he was mean. Oh boo, the Academy Awards with Anne Hathaway don't stand a chance of cracking a smile. Ricky got on Hugh Hefner and many of the presentors like Tim Allen, Robert Downey, Jr., Sylvester Stallone, and Bruce Willis (Ashton Kutcher's dad). My favorite line of the night which I'm surprised even got broadcast was the closing, "And thank you to God...for making me an athiest."
2 comments:
Oh boy, you know I have comment on this one. Did Annette Bening kiss Julianne Moore on the mouth when she was announced? Why doesn't Jane Lynch of Glee kiss her wife. I wish she would--maybe that's not her wife with her. But I like her speech and she always gives credit to her wife in her speeches. Ricky Gervais was the originator of the Office in the UK, Susan!!! He played the Steve Carrell part--that's why he gave him a hard time for killing his cash cow. He probably gets a cut on the US version of the show. I think his character was meaner than Michael Scott in the US, who is more clueless than outright mean--though he can be a jerk. Anyway, Gervais is well-known for jabbing Hollywood--in fact, he'd be a presenter on the Globes and usually do a five-minute diatribe, so they got him to host. I think this is his second year--they never had a host before him on the GGs. Clare Danes gave a similar speech for her Emmy for the same part so that was kind of a re-run for me, but I'm glad Temple Grandin helps put a face to autism and all that can be accomplished when given a chance. Your blog was great--you should write a who will win the Oscars column for FN. It would be good.
I remember the GGs used to be a real snooze-fest.
No, you should write for the Family News about the AA. The nominations come out tomorrow you know. Or maybe tonight.
Wasn't The Office based on a movie Office Space? Did ENgland then do a TV show followed by the US show.
Post a Comment