Saturday, January 01, 2011

Tiny Furniture


Tiny Furniture is a fabulous little indie film Betsy and I saw tonight. Paid all of $5 for the exclusive showing in Louisville Village 8 Theater where we saw Fair Game the other night.

I love this movie. I could relate on so many levels. The most obvious attraction was to the title and photographing of miniature doll furniture. Next was the writer/director/star Lena Dunham who is playing a recent college grad who moves back home to the Tribecca neighborhood of NY (her mom is pretty successful as an artist who photographs small things) and is an aspiring filmmaker, herself. She's pretty successful on youtube. As is the moocher Jed, who moves in but has no interest in sleeping with her.

There is a very familiar sister dynamic as well as a girl friend relationship. And finally the mother-daughter relationship is changing as the daughter is struggling to grow up and redefine her relationship with her mom (think Boy22). It was just so refreshing and anti-Hollywood and low budget. The actors looked like they had a blast making it.

Maybe it's because I haven't been to a small film like this for so long that it was just was so sweet and poignant and brought back memories of all the independent and foreign films I used to see in Denver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't recommend Tiny Furniture to everyone, but it did strike that quality of being true and highly relatable...glad I saw it with my sis and that we did lots of other fun sister things, in addition to a fair amount of bickering. Bickering with your sister is like therapy--you get to say to her all the snotty things you want to say to impatient clerks at 5Guys, etc, and she forgives you, I hope! Thanks for another great New Year's weekend, girl!