
This is my bad ass blue leg.
Nothing weird ever happens to me, but today I fell off my bicycle (Ginnie beware). Actually, when I think about it, I'm a little surprised it didn't happen sooner. So, I turned onto this semi busy street, looking behind me to possibly turn left a block or so up and there is a string of cars there. They seem to be following me at my 15 mph pace waiting for me to go left (there is no street to turn onto yet, mind you). I wave them past me, and again they hesitate, but eventually start passing me, and I feel like they are now trying to run me off the road. I decide to turn into a driveway and wait until they pass to cross the road (and take the safer sidewalk) but there is a pool of water at the bottom of the driveway and a slight grade up. My front tire completely turned around and I found myself awkwardly planted on the concrete with my ankle scraped (no blood) and what I know will be badly bruised. I already have the appearance of a hemophiliac ever since I started taking prophylactic aspirin daily. Luckily, none of the cars stopped to make a scene, but a lady a few houses down getting her garbage can asked if I was all right.
Safety plan: eventually I will have to get a helmet, but when you ride at the pace I do, it just looks stupid. I could always use the beautiful sidewalk on this particular street, but I feel it was put there for walkers, and there are quite a few I would offend. Other than that, I will be a little more tentative and aware of those routes that make me a little uncomfortable.
3 comments:
Well, Ginnie DOES beware, dear Susan, because I had my own spill on July 2, the last day of school before vacation. Believe it or not, I fell here in the courtyard where we live! I took my eye off the road for one second and bumped into the curb. It was like slow motion as I fell, knowing I couldn't catch myself. Sigh. The older I get the harder it feels. The good news is that a nurse from the complex was at my side faster than I could say Jiminy Cricket, making sure I was okay. Yup. Okay except for my pride. Bruises, yes, that are almost gone by now. BUT it has again made me really pay attention because it's my life at stake. HA!
Hopefully these incidents will only make sure we're as cautious as we need to be...without being too fearful...if that makes sense. I'm glad your spill wasn't any worse.
I;m sorry to hear that, Ginnie. Not much gets easier as we age!
When I saw spillage in the title line, I was thinking BP or sludge or something toxic. I'm sorry you fell, but glad your town isn't being contaminated by some horrible mess on Grant St. Sounds like both you and Ginnie survived okay and as long as you're still riding, that's the main thing.
Post a Comment