Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Saga



Okay, I admit I am hooked on the Twilight movies. As much as the picture above might infer, I am not, however, one of those bizarre Twi-Moms that I think should be kept away from all teenage boys. I found the first Twilight book to be quite mediocre and so I did not pursue reading the series as many of my friends (admittedly younger than me) did. I really enjoyed the first movie, I think the music had a lot to do with it. It was very artfully done. The actors were all new to me, fresh, and very interesting. I thought the second movie was just stupid and created to promote Taylor Lautner's abs. There's something creepy about 30 and 40something women gushing over a 17 year old boy's body. So, I'll leave it at that. The ending was really dumb and furthers the ridiculous notion that girls need only live to marry the man of their dreams and they will live happily ever after. Balderdash!

That brings me to movie #3. When I first heard about the infamous "tent scene" (I won't ruin it for y'all who haven't seen it and plan to) I immediately thought of Guinevere and her evening with King Arthur and Lancelot all in bed together. That would set off some bells in less constricted women than I! The idea of the love triangle kept my attention nonetheless and was well acted (very palpable performance by Lautner), though I am tiring of Edward's incessant whispering/brooding/depressed characterizations. I loved the opening of the movie, because I know Robert Frost is not high brow poetry, but I adore him anyway.

On a hot summer day, with my old work pals, Twilight was a perfect distraction from life's realities. I do understand, as a female, how it has captured a huge audience as it evokes those long dormant romantic feelings from youth and provides an escape from the ho hum grind of daily life for many women. It also may have to do with the fantasy of being dominated ("changed" "imprinted") by a man.

But who are these men who go to Twilight and unashamedly join teams? And, please, for the sake of humanity, grown women, stop having adult Twilight parties and get a job or a life. You are setting a bad example for your daughters.

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

It's funny, Susan, but since I have seen the first 2 movies (in America), I want to see the last one and will probably wait till it comes out on DVD here in The Netherlands. My ex read all 3 books and loved them, so there you have it.

Anonymous said...

Who says Robert Frost is not high brow? You won't find much better and by high brow, you may mean it's designed not to be understood and therefore good? Who needs that?