That picture below is the world famous Pastie. It's a little meat pie with chopped meat, potato, rutabaga and ?? Terri and I split this for a snack after having had a very filling lunch on Mackinac Island. It was quite perfect actually. The crust was delicious. Reminds me of the Nebraska sensation, the Runza, though the Runza is a little meat pie, stronger on onion. Boy19 really likes those. They are sold at a Runza chain, whereas pasties are sold at small roadside stands and gas stations, uncommercialized. One worker where we didn't buy a pastie said she didn't know how they came to be named, but they were brought over by the Cornish or Fins depending on who you talk to. Let me look that up and I'll be right back.
Wikipedia states the pastie is from Northern Ireland, but the information is a stub (look that one up!). Isn't Northern Ireland called Wales, which is the same as Cornish. Oh please correct me someone.
I thought this was really cute. The Uppers (Yoopers) called those from the Lower Peninsula Trolls (because they live under the bridge) and the tourists are called Fudgies because they are always in the fudge shops.
1 comment:
Trolls and Fudgies, that is funny! I always like trying local food so if I ever find myself in either Nebraska again I'll have to try the Runza, and in Michigan the Pastie and the fudge. I tried grits in the south, nope not my thing. But I do like fried okra. And sweet tea, oh my I love sweet tea.
Post a Comment