Friday, February 18, 2022

Adventure

It's interesting to me how brains work. Mine anyway. I've been dealing with First World problems and not only getting frustrated, but anxious and unhappy. 

You see, the snow cancelled our flight to Florida (waa wa wa ). Maybe I should have been able to re-book an earlier flight?, which a. I don't think there was one and b. I was convinced if I did the storm would have come early. Wonderfully my agent, thank god I gave up trying to do this myself, got us re-booked in time to see Boy/Man 28 play in a professional symphony on Sunday. I had hotels to cancel and re-book, plans to adjust, and double the drive time to the airport, each way. And oh, yeah, we're flying in 2.5 hours away from where we are going. Then I decide to worry that I booked skanky motels and we'll get bed bugs. 

Then suddenly last night while reading, my brain got happy and excited. It literally flipped on. Then it was gone again, and I started perseverating on problems. Then I consciously wanted to get my happy back, and I told myself, "You're going on an Adventure." It's different than you planned, but damn girl, you are one lucky SOB. 

This I call "walking the walk." In my line of work I suggest all the time that changing your thoughts can change your emotions. Don't read this as 'you can change your thoughts and emotions all the time.' I have many other internal dialogues and methods for overcoming unwanted states of mind, but this one happened to work in this situation. I think I had to have a little time, too, to readjust what I thought was going to happen and accept the new circumstances. Maybe this happens in the 2nd and 3rd World as well. 

1 comment:

Ginnie Hart said...

Bless you, Susan!!! I love that you told YOUR story and explained the importance of "adjusting" your thoughts in order to enjoy the new adventure placed on your plate. One of my favorite quotes continues to be that "happiness is an inside job." Knowing others, like you, have to work on it, too, makes it feel like this is part of our common humanity. Thank you for writing this post because we can all support each other when we know the Journey is shared.