I took the privilege self-assessment and shared with my siblings and spouse. I scored 61 out of 100 privilege points. Many of the non-privileges I have come from being female, however being a cisgender, straight female has many privileges. I didn't necessarily have an economically or financially privileged upbringing, though it wasn't poverty. My parents say we were close to the poverty line, but they always prioritized saving and investing. They lived well below their means and still do. Some of the items on the assessment reminded me of difficult times I went through, that I have minimized as a coping mechanism, but have ultimately made me stronger.
I've had the feeling most of my life that I have slid under the radar. Of course, my Whiteness in a Midwestern town allows this to happen. The last few years I have been speaking out more on something I unfortunately learned about first hand: being a suicide loss survivor. I just don't feel the confidence to speak out about racism and sexism in the same way. I am grateful to those who do, and am happy to support them. One thing this racial equity challenge suggested is simply saying, "That's wrong" when I encounter offensive behavior or words. I'll let you know how that goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment