I took the Implicit Association Test (IAT) for trans/cisgender and Biden/Reagan. While I like to think my attitudes are on the "right" (or left) side, the quizzes show my bias is ingrained heavily in me. I scored in the range of moderately favoring Cisgender people and moderately favoring Biden over Reagan. I honestly thought my disdain for Reagan would play out as more pronounced. Just goes to show you we can't shed our skin as easily as we thought.
I know a White person who tries to be open and non-judgmental, but always brings up the same examples from their experience that they think goes against stereotypes but in fact reinforces the blinders of White Privilege. Not that I do any better.
It's honestly uncomfortable to face this idea that I am hurting people unintentionally. But this just proves the fact that our culture is so systemically biased that we Whites can't begin to know how to dismantle it. That's why it bothers me when White people are leading anti-racist movements and purporting to speak for Black Americans.
It almost makes me want to throw up my hands and not even try. When I saw the list of other IAT quizzes I was terrified to take the ones dealing with race. I vaguely remember taking one years (?) ago and the results were not flattering.
Maybe I can just continue to learn and grow. I know I want to advocate and support but it's pretty clear I am bound to fail.
No comments:
Post a Comment