My parents always set a good example of humility. At a young age I was taught, however unconsciously, not to be prideful or boast. The message seemed to be that it is best to lower yourself in relation to another person, so as not to embarrass or make them feel bad; their feelings are more important than your own. This took the form of deflecting and not being able to accept a sincere compliment, not talking about myself unless asked specific questions, always being careful not to flaunt material possessions or accomplishments, and to be sure to let everyone know how thrifty and parsimonious I am, eg. wearing the same clothes for 15 or 20 years, making do with rusty old appliances and utensils, using the public library, riding a bike or walking as transportation. I remember growing up with the same thread bare bath towels (which are still knocking around my mother's rag bag), which were barely big enough to reach around me, stiff from drying on the line, and secretly longing for just one plush bath sheet that was warm and fluffy when pulled from the dryer. I later learned these take forever to dry, and have the weird ability to actually repel water...a total waste. There were certain things I rejected as an adult (reusing paper towels and baggies *although my husband would argue that point*, clothes lines, turning plastic bags into rugs *I kid you not* and thin, cheap towels ) and others I retained (generally cooking and eating at home, doing without fancy cars or jewelry, saving and reusing paper, rubberbands, etc.) and even exceeded my parents on (thrift shop and yard sale clothes, trash picking, couponing, driving late model cars). A few things I tried (coloring my own hair, making my own paper out of dryer lint) and decided it's just not worth it.
More recently I have learned that humility doesn't have to be lowering myself or being ashamed of myself. It is the clear perspective of one's self, as neither above or below another person. That has been one lesson that is harder to unlearn. I don't really like talking about myself, which is maybe why I prefer writing. I can pretend no one is reading, and essentially this is true.
With all that said, here are some things I am proud of (I have worked for them, but I can't say Divine intervention has not played a role, too):
- My three healthy, smart, talented, funny and unique sons. They are all different, but I am equally proud of them.
- Being married for 22 years, though Pat has made it pretty easy.
- Having a 30 year career that allows me to connect with people, not so much things or ideas, and volunteering my time to help others.
- Maintaining 15 years of continuous sobriety.
- Earning my master's degree.
- Helping my children through college without taking on a debt load.
- I have been loved.
3 comments:
These are things we have discussed over the years, but you have articulated them well. I laughed and I cried. For things you are proud of: Can you add being a thoughtful sister who sets a fine example for her younger sister?
I appreciate the tid-bit regarding the OLD MAN
enjoyed reading this thoughtful post.
Post a Comment