Saturday, April 02, 2011

Facebook Break

Facebook is just too unsettling and much of a time waster. There's nothing there, yet I stare at it like some monumentous information is going to suddenly appear. So that's that.

Double header today. A full week of baseball. 7 games in 6 days. I missed the only two games Boy16 started in. He did well in the field and at the plate, just too many guys in the infield to fit in the line up.

Yesterday Pat and I took a short trip to Springfield to see Boy/Man22. My maternal instincts suddenly kicked in and I needed to put eyes on him. Seems to be doing okay. We had what we thought were inaccurate mapquest directions. Couldn't find the place. Drove around for while and finally saw a gas station. Pat started asking a state policeman who was getting gas where to find Burton Drive. He couldn't explain it, then didn't think the number was right. Said he would check his computer, then just radioed "the city" and got the directions. Tried to explain how to get there with the one ways, then just said, "I'll take ya." First thought, Great! Second thought, should I bring the state police to this place?? Well, we flew around some corners and streets and there we were. Turn out, mapquest was right. Pat read .08 miles as .8 miles so we missed a street. We were only a block away originally. The rental is a cracker box of a place with a dude parked on the living room floor on an air mattress under some covers looking at a laptop (Shashi, a self proclaimed grad student) at two in the afternoon.

It seems my cousin Bill in Manhattan KS, has slipped into a coma is not expected to recover due to terminal cancer. We had no idea things were this bad until this week. In fact, we were hopeful the cancer was in remission. But it would be like Bill not to share bad news. His sister died by suicide two and a half years ago, so it is rough on the family. My aunt and uncle are not in very good health either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So in addition to seeing Shashi, I assume you saw Nephew22? Is he surviving okay? Thanks for explaining Facebook.

susan d said...

Yes, he is fine. Funny kid. He buys clothes at Goodwill and resells them at bars. Well,one "black and yellow" coat.