Sunday, April 17, 2011

April is slipping away

I can't believe how fast time is going. I was speaking with an old classmate yesterday whose theory was that time accelerates as we age because it is such a smaller portion of our total time lived. For exampe, one year to a 10 year is 1/10th of their life and so it seems very long. At almost 50, one year is only 1/50th of the time I have spent on earth, and so it goes very quickly. My thought was that our brain and soul becomes so full of memories and experiences, and that somehow makes time go more quickly. Or perhaps there is just so much activity and things to do the older we get that time seems to speed up exponentially.

Yesterday there was volunteering for a band event (two hours), meeting about a class reunion (one hour), birthday lunch with Uncle Cal (age 86) (I think time may slow down again once we are that old) (two hours), working out (1.5 hours), nap (1.5 hours), grocery shopping (1 hour), dinner making and eating (1.5 hours), schoolwork (one hour), checkbook balancing and bill paying (.5 hour), walk (.5 hour). Did I mention Facebook? 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there, honestly, there is nothing interesting going on there.

So today there is the parent visit, Boy18 brass recital, working out, cleaning dirty house, more schoolwork (my class is almost done!), etc. etc. And back to school tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were off FB. That didn't last long...Time does go more quickly when we are older. My theory is that when you are young, you are always looking to future events and wanting to grow up so time goes slowly. At some point you realize that growing up now means growing old and, therefore, time speeds up because we want to do so much before getting old. I don't want that time to come so it arrives ever more quickly.