Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Tuesday

I am back to work and it was kind of a boring day. I am sorry to say I didn't save the world. I hope I was understanding and supportive to the people I encountered; young children subjected to adult stupidity, adults living with unanswerable questions, my own family going in a hundred directions and managing nicely.

Next week I am looking forward to a reunion of sorts. At a statewide conference for school social work, I will get to see my former professors (at least two of them I like very much), my former classmates and work mate, Miss Perfect, and the new Miss Perfect (social work students I consider my rivals for teacher's pet/suck up/brown noser). We will be staying in a nice hotel in suburban Chicago (I will be rooming with my new co-workers, the real school social workers), eating too much food, soaking up the workshops, keynote speakers, and each other's company. Maybe running out for some early Christmas shopping. You know if you know me, I will be all about the free food. It will be fun to get out of Dodge for a few days.

I am experimenting (on doctor's advice) with Vitamin D to treat mild depression. So far, I don't think it is doing anything, but I'm not getting worse. Just something I go through each fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are kind and supportive to students who have issues at home or at school, you ARE saving the world--maybe not in one big fell swoop--but in the ways that count to the lives of children. As a parent of a kid who has seen a counselor at school, your service is invaluable. You can bring a perspective to the kids that is removed from what teachers think, who develop their own biases, and how classmates perceive them. I'm just glad that schools realize the value of counseling for students and that people like you are out there in the world.