Saturday, October 17, 2009

I love quotes

You may be only one person in the world,
but to one person you may be the world.

I saw this on a mirror in the beauty salon of a nursing home yesterday. There were all kinds of different inspirational messages in this small space. The colors were maroon and gray and I thought it was just very pretty and nice, especially for a nursing home. I thought the quote above was extremely meaningful for this setting as the beautician is probably one of the highlights of the resident's existence. It really touched me that someone had invested such thought and care in making this a pleasant environment for our elderly who are more than likely in their last resort, no pun intended.

My great uncle is soon to move to my town in Illinois from North Dakota to live in an assisted living facility. He will feel like he's moved to Florida after that climate. He's lived all his life on a farm (The Farm) in ND and recently had to move into a nursing home. My mom is his closest relative, he having no offspring nor did his siblings (except my grandmother who only had one child, my mother). Well, this will make it easier to conduct his business and manage his affairs, including trying to keep him off the road since he has no driver's license, and soothe his desire to hire Dr. Kevorkian to pay him a visit. It should be interesting...

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

I love quotes, too, Susan. In fact, back in my early years when we didn't have computers, I kept a leather 3-ring notebook full of them. I like how you have woven your own personal story of your great uncle and this quote together. I wish him and you all the best. It may give him a new lease on life, you never know!

madretz said...

That is a good, thoughtful quote. How has your g.uncle handled the transition? Hope it is going smoothly. i suspect there will be some bumps? especially since he's never lived anywhere but the Farm...yet i'm sure he'll appreciate having family nearby.