Did you have teachers who looked like you? Did you have toys and books that looked like you? What messages were you taught about race? How did those messages compare to what you saw around you?
I'm not really into reading a bunch of statistics, so for today's challenge I will just journal on the prompts above that were given.
Scratch that. I looked at the stats for my local school district and the surrounding schools, and see that only my area had enough (more than 10) Black students to report on. That was kind of shocking in 2021. Only one district (not mine) had enough Hispanic students to report on. Both groups performed less well on state testing. No percent of the Black or Hispanic students exceeded standards on English or math. There's obviously a lot of work to do here.
Anecdotally, my son reports that his primarily Black students perform better in math than English.
No comments:
Post a Comment