Thursday, September 07, 2017

Moving Forward and About


Today Pat and I moved my mom’s Queen mattress set to our house. We are hoping this is the last moving we do for a while. Mom had casually mentioned wanting to get a new bed last spring, and offering me or my kids her old bed, which has been fairly lightly used. This finally came to fruition today. (Never mind she doesn’t have a bed to sleep on now…*)

The past year and a half have involved more change and movement than I care to think about.  2016 started with the terrible news of Adam’s suicide in February. We were shaken to our core, but soon learned life keeps moving. Eli graduated college in May 2016 followed by Cal in December 2016. Both earned teaching degrees and credentials. Eli married the love of his life Hannah on June 4, 2016. Our lives were enriched as Hannah joined our family, while we continued to grieve in our own ways Adam’s not being here to celebrate the milestones together. Eli took a teaching job close to Macomb and the newlyweds got their first apartment together. Some of our furniture moved in with them. We acquired more to fill in the spaces. With Eli and Cal venturing out into the world, and knowing Adam would never return home, Pat eventually cleaned out and redecorated all three of their bedrooms.

I now have a sunny yellow meditation room and a deep blue guest room. I slept in Adam’s old room for over a year, and it has recently been repurposed a dark green to house our part time guest, Regine, a graduate student from Cameroon.
I was lucky to be able to travel and help move Eli and Hannah earlier this month to Gainesville, FL where they will both be graduate assistants and earning their Master degrees (trumpet performance and musicology respectively).  This necessitated some more furniture moving and giving away of pieces. Cal quickly followed with equipping his first solo apartment in Lincoln, IL with several large items from our house, including his bed. He will be teaching 7th graders social studies and geography and coaching 3 sports.

It is exciting and satisfying to see my ducklings take flight, but of course we will miss having them close and dependent on us. All this moving and rearranging and reorganizing brings emotions of pride, happiness, and sadness for the new lives that are starting, and the one that has ended. The good days outweigh the dark days, but know that Adam is never far from my thoughts, even if I look or feel “fine.”

Some things I have learned (and re-learned) through these changes: appreciate the little things (clean sheets, a beautiful sunset, cooler weather, legs and arms that can ride a bicycle, the ability to pay a bill), ask for help and accept it, let your emotions be okay, take time for yourself to be quiet and take a risk or two.

I recently spoke to the Macomb Rotary Club about the Out of the Darkness Walk. It was terrifying to stand in front of a large group and speak my truth about Adam and suicide. But, I will not stay silent and pretend suicide cannot affect anyone. Two fathers of boys from Adam’s high school class were in the audience. A dialogue was started within the meeting, and I was approached afterwards with meaningful sharing. My heart felt so full after doing this.

When I attended my first Out of the Darkness Walk in 2013, it was with my dear cousin Laurie in mind. I never thought I would be touched by suicide again, or in such a profound way. I started Macomb’s first Out of the Darkness Walk in 2016 to honor Adam’s memory, to cope with my own grief, and to do something about preventing suicide from bringing down more lives. I will again be coordinating the Macomb Walk September 23rd and walking in the Springfield, IL Walk October 14.  I would appreciate your prayers, thoughts, support, or donations at www.macombwalk.org , www.springfieldwalk.org or by mail to 417 E. Calhoun St. Macomb, IL 61455 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP).


*lest you think I left my mother bed-less, she chose to procrastinate buying a new bed and will be sleeping on a hide-a-bed, stating that she won’t get a new bed until she gets sick of sleeping in the living room

No comments: