Sunday, December 09, 2012

This is really just for me, so I can't recommend anyone reading further.  I have been reading a lot of YA (young adult) fiction lately, and even a fourth grade level book.  I've been researching selective mutism, a disorder one of my student has. It causes a lot of people frustration, because they know she can talk in some situations and not others. This makes them believe it is a conscious choice or even a game. I have even been guilty of some of these feelings. 

The first book I read was called "Cut" by Patricia McCormick.  A teenage girl is situated in a therapeutic inpatient treatment center because she had been cutting herself, and has gone mute. In this case, she is not talking to anyone and it gets a little awkward in group and individual therapy, but she is really having a difficult internal struggle.  Come to find out she has blamed herself for her brother getting sick and almost dying, when in fact her parents were rather negligent, one having gone to a bar. She slowly realizes this and begins talking and making progress, before abruptly running away from the facility. She calls her dad and they have a come-to-Jesus, and she goes back, determined to work harder on her recovery.  What I liked most about the book was the author's voice and candid humor about the treatment center and the characters there.  I also was interested in how therapy was handled.  Lucky for me, my student is able to talk to me.

I'm about half way through "Speak", the story of girl who enters high school after busting up an underage drinking party over the summer. She is now outcast from any social group, but it is a little more vague about her inability to speak. No one is confronting her about it, or making problems in school over it, it is more hinted at.  She does speak at home, and with a new girl she meets. Again, the descriptions and characters are humorous and spot on sketches on the life of a teenager. 

I often think of a boy Cal knew in daycare whose parents invited him over expressly because he was the only kid Mikey talked to. He wasn't speaking in daycare and not sure how much he spoke at home.  I wonder what became of him.

So, I'm concerned with my midde age paunch and recent weight gain, 10 pounds over my former limit.  On the plus side I do the following activity weekly:
Aqua Fit class, 45 minutes, 3x
Walk, 45-50 minutes, 2-3x
Lift weights, 30 minutes, 1-2x
Elliptical, 40 minutes, 1-2x
Yoga, 10-15 minutes, 3x

I eat a healthy breakfast everyday: Greek yogurt and a banana on weekdays, oatmeal with cranberries, splenda, and skim milk on weekends.  I bring my lunch most days (leftovers or sandwich) and cook at home nearly every night.

Problem areas:
Binging on sweets mainly in the evening
Snacking nearly all the time, anything from kettle corn to apples, oranges, granola bars. 









2 comments:

Ginnie said...

You had me curious with the first sentence, Susan, and I'm glad I continued on. This is a new phenomenon for me so you've educated me. Thank you. I'll keep my ears open.

Quite apart from what you're snacking/binging on, I do know that all that exercise is surely building muscles that weigh more, as you know, than if they weren't being exercised. But I guess you already knew that!

Anonymous said...

Saw the movie "Speak" with Kristen Stewart--interesting. Working with teens, I can see your interest in YA fiction. There's a lot more out there now covering a greater variety of issues. Glad it gives you some perspective.

You are my inspiration for being healthier--wish I would do more. I'm proud of you. (And why is it a bad thing to snack on an apple?)